Investing in People and Our Communities - Delivering Exceptional, Financially Sustainable Services
The county board works for all residents to deliver services and solve problems that impact their daily lives, from property taxes to roads to jobs. The Lake County Board has a strategic plan, which serves as a road map for our county government and influences how we prioritize and invest our resources.
The County Board adopted its most recent plan in May 2017. The Board updates the plan every two years.
Residents helped shape the priorities in our plan by providing input through various channels. View summary (PDF).
• Telephone Town Hall meetings (PDF)
• Citizen survey
• Digital Online Citizen Input (PDF)
• Leaders Round Table meetings (PDF)
Like most organization’s strategic plans, ours includes a Mission, Vision, Values, Goals, Strategies and Actions. We’ve included highlights below, along with examples of how we are making progress toward achieving these priorities.
Our Mission – (Our core purpose; Why we exist)
Deliver exceptional, financially sustainable services that promote a safe and healthy community while enhancing economic vitality
Our Vision – (Illustrates where we aspire to be in the future)
Lake County is a place where people, families and businesses thrive and its government is recognized as an innovative leader and model of excellence so present and future generations enjoy the highest quality of life.
Our Values – (Influence everything we do)
|Leadership||Provide leadership in communicating, interacting and cooperating with residents, businesses, other governments, and stakeholders leading to innovative regional collaboration, increased efficiency and cost savings, and improved quality of life.|
|Fiscal Responsibility||Uphold fiscal integrity, make performance-driven decisions based on future impacts, manage priorities, leverage partnerships for more efficient use of resources, and maintain sustainable and prudent financial operations. This includes: a balanced budget, strong reserves, and AAA financial rating, with a commitment to transparency, honesty, reliability and accountability.|
|Exceptional Service||Deliver cost-effective, efficient, responsive and high quality services, placing a high value on professionalism, and courtesy that enhances the value of government services to residents and builds public trust and confidence.|
|Operational Excellence||Promote and cultivate a culture that encourages and fosters continuous improvement, exploration and adoption of new techniques, technologies, and operational efficiencies that maximize outcomes and advance positive, progressive change.|
|Environmental Stewardship||Encourage the adoption of environmentally sustainable policies and practices by residents, businesses, and County staff.|
Lake County strives to deliver efficient, cost-effective, accountable, and fiscally sustainable services. We are advancing several initiatives that help drive efficiencies and productivity, create a culture of innovation, foster interdepartmental and regional collaboration and partnerships, as well as produce positive, measurable results. Examples include:
• Addressing the Mental Health Crisis through Collaboration
• Leveraging Shared Services to Gain Efficiencies
• Capital Improvements
Strategic Goal: Provide Public Safety and Advance an Integrated, Data-Driven Justice System
*View all strategies and actions under this goal (PDF).
|Summary Statement||Create safe communities through an integrated, data-driven justice system, including law enforcement that embraces a guardian mindset to build public trust, and other innovative programs that reduce crime, recidivism, family violence and substance abuse.|
|Strategies||1. Provide justice facilities to meet long-term needs
2. Realign/shift resources from enforcement to prevention, including community policing
3. Enhance technologies and data sharing/ integration
4. Evaluate and identify adult and youth criminal justice and diversion programs that address social, mental, emotional and behavioral (MEB) health issues that lead to criminal behavior
5. Develop programs, education, and outreach focused on MEB health, misuse of drugs, prevention of gangs, and prevention of other criminal activity
6. Provide comprehensive training to law enforcement and first responders
What Are We Doing
|• Lake County Construction
|Summary Statement||Leverage the assets of the county – the Lake County Workforce Ecosystem, skilled talent, diverse communities, and effective infrastructure – to drive balanced growth, revitalization, economic opportunities, and jobs.|
|Strategies||1. Enhance our economic climate and readiness by connecting employers into training and education programs to access a reliable pipeline of new talent.
2. Increase collaboration and cooperation with other units of local government to cultivate integrated economic development.
3. Pursue a strategic communication program aimed at retaining and attracting business, stimulating investment, and establishing Lake County’s prominence as a desirable place to work and live.
4. Support economic development initiatives to attract visitors through a partnership with Visit Lake County.
|What Are We Doing?||• Video: Strengthening our Workforce Ecosystem|
|Summary Statement||Preserve the health of our natural resources, air quality, and our drinking water through the widespread use of environmentally sustainable management practices, effective stormwater management, and the enhancement and rehabilitation of lakes and other ecological systems.|
|Strategies||1. Implement renewable and conservation-related energy technologies and incorporate green practices in the delivery of County programs and services where cost effective.
2. Raise awareness about green and sustainable practices and encourage residents, businesses, and other governments to change behaviors and practices.
3. Increase waste diversion through recycling and composting, reduce the toxicity of our waste, and develop long-term disposal options that have a positive impact on energy usage
4. Protect and preserve natural resources and ecological systems through stewardship and enhancement, and green infrastructure
5. Provide a reliable and sustainable supply of safe drinking water to residents.
|What Are We Doing?|
|Summary Statement||Improve health for all Lake County residents by assuring the places where they live, work and play have the critical elements required to make communities, safe, healthy, inclusive, and vibrant.|
|Strategies||1. Improve policy, systems, and environmental design to promote improvement in health outcomes through the understanding of social determinants of health.
2. Increase access to behavioral health services and reduce the stigma of behavioral health-related conditions.
3. Increase access to workforce development programs and availability of affordable housing across Lake County.
4. Foster a culture in Lake County that embraces diversity, seeks to understand our differences and leverages the power of diverse perspectives and people in order to shape a brighter future for our communities.
|What Are We Doing?||• Live Well Lake County
|Summary Statement||Advance the development of State, Regional, County, and municipal transportation systems that provide for safe, efficient, and flexible movement through an integrated network of road, rail, public transit, and non-motorized (bicycle, pedestrian) modes of travel.|
|Strategies||1. Develop and implement transportation solutions that provide alternatives to single occupied vehicles.
2. Leverage and maximize the use of new and emerging technologies and applications to enhance the operational capabilities of the transportation systems in Lake County and the region.
3. Advance regional consensus on transportation solutions by collaborating with state and regional agencies, as well as local communities.
4. Partner with regional leaders in a “call to action” for a permanent and sustainable funding source to meet the region’s transportation system maintenance and capacity needs.
5. Work collaboratively with state, regional and local agencies and County residents to reduce the number of fatal and serious injury crashes on Lake County roadways.
|What Are We Doing?||• Lake County PASSAGE